Thursday 5 January 2012

How Being Smart Can Really Slow You Down

Here's a really important principle when being Smart gets in the way of living a rich and fulfilling life.
And I know that I'm smart and I also know that you're smart. We're really all smart. We know a lot of things and that's Citrix 1Y0-A21 practice test the problem because one of the key defense mechanisms that keeps us from growing personally, living the life of our dreams is the "Trap of Understanding
I'm at Fort Casey in Washington State at the eastern end of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and behind me here is a gun emplacement that was put in place to defend us against Japanese invasion in the Second World War.
This gun is special because it's on a trolley that allows it to drop down into a hole after it fires its shot. It pops up to fire and then drops down to hide. This exactly the way the defense mechanism of Understanding works.
I'll tell you what I mean.
When was the last time you were at a conference and somebody taught you a really cool concept Citrix 1Y0-A18 practice test and then you checked it out until you "Got It".
That's the key word.
"I've "Got It" -"I Get It".
Because right then what's happened is Understanding has popped up. You reach the point where you understand it - you "Get It" -and it pops back down again - but you stop dead in the water because Understanding is the Booby Prize.
Understanding is just step one.
So Understanding actually stops us from living in accordance with these timeless principles and concepts. And I know you know exactly what I mean. I know there are places in your life - just like there are places in my life - where we understand something and when we look around in our life, we're not living it.
Understanding pops up - like the gun behind me - then it pops back down into hiding and we don't go any further.
This is when smart people act stupid.
I know; I've done it a bunch of times myself. If you got a really cool concept that you've learned, maybe it's even so cool that you teach it to other people, have taught it to your kids - maybe you even coach people around it - but you look in your life and you're not 190-612 living it.
It's okay, take a breath and start trying it on. Put it on like a coat and check it out and see if it works for you. Actually live it - because only then can you understand the concept. Only then, have you gone far enough to really know whether it works for you. Only then you know, if it's going to help you live the life of your dreams or not.
So when you "Get It" - don't stop
When you've "Got It" - don't quit.
Otherwise, you'll fall in that trap of Understanding. The trap that makes Smart People Stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.