Tuesday 27 December 2011

Confronting Your Biggest Fear

We all have them.
Something that has always scared us. Something we hoped would never happen - that we have assiduously avoided all our lives. It might be flying, spiders, snakes, confrontation, asking (eg for a raise),
Mine 1Y0-A11 practice exam was always performing. I hated being on or near a stage in front of people. That was bad enough, but to then have to act, or worse, sing or dance - that would do it for me.
Somehow I managed to get all the way through school, through to 18, without ever having to sing in the school choir, or be in the school play. Yes it meant a part of my development was stunted but I would much rather just quietly sidestep the issue and stay in my comfort zone.
Gradually my fear of having to speak in front of class or do a presentation was overcome. Talking in front of people presenting on a subject I was well prepared for was not an issue - but performing - NO PLEASE NO!
That was until a couple of Christmases ago. I took my wife and family, for my wife's birthday, to see Jimmy Osmond's Christmas show. Now my wife is a big fan of all things Osmond (in common with a surprising number of women of a certain age) and so over time our family have become familiar to the various Osmond brothers as we keep turning up at their gigs, and my wife hangs around to meet them.
So on this particular night we were fortunate enough to have seats front row centre. The show was great. The house was full, seating maybe 800 people. the show was full of Christmas song of joy, with a young and enthusiastic troupe of singers 1Y0-A13 practice exam and dancers supporting Jimmy and the co-star.
Then Jimmy did what he usually does and mingles a bit with the audience. He sees my wife and pulls her up for a quick smooch as he sings "Love Me For A Reason" to her as a birthday treat which she thoroughly enjoyed.
Relieved that his cameo bit is coming to an end I sit back in my seat as he begins a refrain of "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool".
Then he does it. Halfway through it he shakes my hand. But he does not let go.
HE PULLS! He pulls me out of my seat and up on to stage. He then puts the microphone to my mouth for me to sing the chorus to the audience:
"I'll be your long haired lover from Liverpool You'll be my Sunshine Daisy from LA"
And then as there is an instrumental break in the song he turns to me and says "Go on Darrin, just boogie"
I had two choices - run for the exit, or do what he said.
I did what he said and for a minute or two did a refined foot shuffle that was a pale imitation of cool. My family were in tears, of laughter, in front of me, practically rolling on the floor. Thanks for the support guys!
Eventually my ordeal ended and to rapturous applause from the 2,000 plus people (or did I say 800) I returned to my seat. But I returned a changed man. Little did Jimmy Osmond know what he had done for me. He had made me confront my biggest fear. I had faced up to it and done what I had spent 40 years avoiding. And I walked off with my head held high.
If I can sing Long Haired Lover in front of all those people, MA0-102 and dance to it too, then that is it. There is nothing that I would not be able to do now...
So have you ever had to confront your fear...
and how did it feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.